Thursday 5 November 2009

Madrid

I was very excited about going to Madrid. Firstly I have always wanted to vist (and I know that list is long) and more importantly I got to see mum and dad again. Dad fell into his role straight away when I didn't have quite enough for the taxi, which wasn't done on purpose I swear. All down to aiport tax. I hate hidden tax. I have come across country arrival tax, hotel tax, room tax, city tax.... you get the point. Anyway dad just happened to be peering out the window as I arrived and before I could say hello, good to see you again it was daaaaaaad. He understood.
In Madrid I felt spoilt. It was five days of luxary - meals out, tickets to places etc. The first day we visited the main square (quite similar, we noted, to st. Marks square in Venice only missing the big building at the end which i guess you could call St Mark's Basilica) and took an afternoon stroll through the park. It was sunny, but not to hot - perfect!
The Prado museam had to be one of my favourite moments. There were so many famous paintings - I mean -'walk round the corner, fight through the crowd and think 'hey, i know that one' famous painting'. there were Goya, Velazquez, Bosch, Dali, Rubens, and Picasso, from what I can remember. Guernica was amazing, that garden one, the one with the princess with the king and queen in the mirror, 3rd of may - maybe not 3rd of may but we saw it and it was ace.
I really like the monkey one - was that Goya?
Anyway - we saw alot of art. We also went to a tapas restaurant and afterwards saw a flamenco show - 2 dancers, 3 singers and two guitar players. And I was transfixed, they were amazing. Even down to the expression on the womans face - it felt like she was telling a story. A must do if anyone visits Madrid.
The market was very picturesque. Indoors, not smelly and you could drink wine there! Another of my favourite moments was our first glass of wine there.
What else can I say - the buildings were gorgeous, the food not so great although I can remember two good meals, lots of rioja (well i was with dad what do you expect). I had a great time. Shame I had to leave

1 comment:

  1. Ah Liz, the monkey one is El Greko, the king, infanta and mirror is Velazquez. The third May is the man with his hands in the air being shot at by a group of soldiers.

    ReplyDelete