Sunday 4 October 2009

Singapore

Due to my unexpected cut short trip in Cambodia, and my unexpected extra trip to Sydney the only way I could swing it was to add a night in Singapore. Oh well, such a hardship but whats a girl to do?
To begin, Singapore has the most beautiful airport I have ever seen - it is full of plants and flowers , free internet, lots of shops and you can get a massage. I found a hotel (luxuary again for the night - 4*, cost about 30 quid) and hopped on the aipport shuttle bus. When Arriving at the hotel I thought I'd do my usual trick of sleep, shower and food but as I only had one night I skipped the sleep. Straight away I did the touristy thing and booked a tour for that evening and another one for the next morning. Which meant I had two and a half hours to spare. What to do, let me think, well the sun was past the yard arm - well past!
Raffles hotel, hmm - looks a bit posh but I made my way into the courtyard garden bit and found myself a seat next to some nice Australians (to repeat - the friendliest nation in the world) and had a Singapore sling - only one though as it cost $27 (sing) which is roughly 11-12 pound. I made it last!
Singapore otherwise is quite Westernised and very clean. It was so nice to go on a walk without be hassled a hundred times - 'tuk tuk lady, where you going?'. The night safari was interesting. I met some nice chaps from Barain - lots of nocturnal beasts - the animals I mean, some fire breathing men and a recycling friendly otter!
The next day I dragged myself out of bed for my second tour of the city - one of those hop on hop of bus. Sad I know but fun. We went to a jewellry makers and one of the shop assistants tried to sell me a diamond necklace -20% off but at 2500 quid not really a backpackers price range. Afterwards I still had a few hours to kill before my flight to Sydney so, and in my defense I was dropped off there, I raided the biggest shopping mall. What did I say about backpackers price range??

2 comments:

  1. Gin sling in Raffles Hotel!

    Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I thought you'd be proud of that one. And I have photographic evidence!

    ReplyDelete