Tuesday 6 October 2009

Sydney

Finally I made it over to Australia and I could put Cambodia behind me! Got in early - 6am and luckily my lovely host had already been awoken by her house mates (3 hours before) and was very willing to escape and pick me up form the airport. I was very excited so although I hadn't slept at all on the over night flight - watched the proposal and episodes of doctor who and scrubs - we headed straight out. Well I had a shower first, don't want to make a bad impression so early on. Breakfast first and good coffee - oh it was good! Then it was onwards to manly beach via the bus and ferry. While we were waiting for the ferry we had a chance to have a wonder around. Ok I admit it - it did get a touch over excited by the sight of the opera house, and yes, I did run up the stairs just so I could touch it. I defy anyone not to do that in the sam situation.
Anyway it turned out to be a lovely morning with temps of 32 degrees. Spring hey but not as we know it!
Alice had to work a shift in the afternoo and my excitability had started to wean so I went for a qick nap only to wake just as Alice was finisheing her shift! Must have needed it. In my defense I had a lot of last nights to celebrate - Cambodia, Singapore and then a sleepless flight!
The next day Alice had managed to swing things so she had a day off. After a lazy start we made it out the house and the first stop the local hospital where we could pick up some free tickets from the gym there for the zoo - confused!?! Bad things happened today. I lost my camera - someone swiped it. I don't want to talk about that anymore. I underestimated my pay, badly. Again the less said the better. I found out it was a national holiday in Australia and therefore my flight to Cairns stung. But on the upside I saw a kangaroo - well the back of one, the lazy thing wouldn't stand up, even when I shouted hey Skipper. Oh and i saw a koala and her baby - caught the one hour they were not sleeping and eating instead and got a great picture, not on my camera though! Also saw a komodo dragon (huge), a croc (ace) and for anyone who knows me well I managed to walk all the way through the reptile house.
To top the day off we then went to a typical aussie pub, well a pub in ausiie anyway and drank copius amounts of beer. When in Rome.....
Had a great time in Sydney even though it rained for the next two days. Kinda reminded me of home. Shame I had to leave but it was worth the extra money and hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment