Friday 25 September 2009

Cambodia

So as some of you may have gathered things didn't start off so well in Cambodia. The whole pace of life just completly slows down. It didn't help that I arrived on a national holiday so to add to that the malority of shops were closed and the majority of the population suddenly had somewhere better to be! There were two other new volunteers on the same day as me which was lucky cause all the rest had gone to Vietnam - told you - missing something!
The next day the bomshell was dropped - instead of working in an orphanage - playing with the children, washing and feeding the babies, plaiting the girls hair (ok that bit wasn't on the website) and generally caring for the children all they wanted was teachers! Worse still you were put in a class on your own with no idea of the curriculam but they expected lesson plans etc... And to put the nail in the coffin I had the advanced class - 16 - 19 year olds who just looked bored as hell! I lasted one day.
The rest of the group when they came back had already bonded and although they were all lovely its always a difficult situation.
Still we managed to fit in a trip to the temple and silver pagoda. And I found the joys of skype - why had no-one told me of this - calls to England for 0.12p. Mabye they're trying to tell me something. And one other thing Cambodia, compared to eastern asian standards it quite expensive. So I apologised to the group leader and took myself of independent travelling on my own

No comments:

Post a Comment