Friday 25 September 2009

Siem Riep

Off I went on a 6 hour bus ride to the north to see the temples. Guess what? I arrived at a quiet period. Not another westener to see which I didn't mind so much but my hotel - quite popular and luxary but I got a discount - had only one customer - me!
I settled myself in - there was a pool and I had, I won't say good but a book anyway. I found out you could rent DVD'S and to my shame revolutionary road, marley and me and the fellowship of the ring happened to find there way into my room.
The next day I hired a tuk tuk driver and it was temples, temples and more temples. 6 and a half hours of them. I saw about ten - satrting with the most famous- Ankor WAT and ending with my favourite Ta Phrom - where they filmed Tomb Raider. At Ankor Wat a man attached himself to me and straing showing me around. I finally clicked on after 10 minutes that he was a tour guide and not just a friendly bloke and brushed him off parting with $5 as I did. He cheekily asked for more though!
The bus ride home was long and dull today and they showed repeats of some cheesy Cambodian veriety show!
I was glad to get home and managed to catch the group on their way to dinner. Nice meal. Including the speciality which I didn't try but it was enough to have on the table - Tarantula!

1 comment: