Sunday 13 September 2009

Mekong Delta

The palce where I encountered the snakes. The twisting river reminded me of what I assumed the Amazon would be like (only slightly smaller). This image was confirmed when a snake was pointed out swimming behing a vietnamese woman on her boat. Ok it was only about 20-30 cm and no anaconda but i still felt like I was in the middle of a horror film. We saw a brick factory and a rice paper factory. The people work there for 12 hour days for very little money but never complain.
We stayed in a lovely home stay with an elderly couple, their youngest son and his wife and children and other members of the extended family. They cooked us a massive feast. And yes they had a pet snake - luckily for me it was kept in a cage but rather off putting when you are trying to eat your dinner - I managed! The next day we saw the floating markets which are exactly waht they say on the tin - markets on boats!

No comments:

Post a Comment