Tuesday 13 September 2011

Lions and Ostriches and Bears. Oh my!




Friday we decided to head on to Narbonne. On route there happened to be an African Safari Park and I honestly believe no one could resist. The one big difference between it and an English safari park is the naughty animal (their has to be one) was not the monkeys but the ostriches. The French had broken all the rules and decided to feed them so as the approached our car and as we had nothing for them to eat (we'd agreed it was unfair to feed them Lukas) we applied caution and kept our windows mainly closed. Of course this does not stop the crafty beggars and I'm afraid mum's side mirror took a bit of a bashing. Once we managed to escape we saw many other animals who managed to behave themselves. After this we drove through the black bear enclosure. On the entrance we were advised to keep our windows closed and warned it may not be wise to leave our vehicles and have a little stroll. Advice I'm rather glad Helen was given as they were rather cute and giving them a big bear hug was hard to resist. We resisted. Next came the Lion Park. Now I know I can moan about English drivers especially the ones who cut you up but when a lioness wanders in front of your car I decided it was beat to leave the road rage behind. Especially as her friends were lurking on the sideline. The only draw back to seeing these animals was we had not yet discovered the aircon function in mum’s car so in 30-degree heat we had ourselves a little sauna going on. Never mind - you should feel our skin now. There was a bit of a normal walking zoo attached and I decided to test the safety functions. We wondered into the alligator house (and that was the only animal named above the door) and after peering for 5 minutes concentrating on spotting one I turned around to another glass cage I was unaware of that just happened to have a huge snake in. Impressive. It took seconds for the ranger to run in after my hysterical scream. I shamefully shuffled along past him mumbling something about le serpent with Helen and Lukas smirking in the background.

We left shortly after and drove to Narbonne. Again another impressive French town. Our first stop was lunch and I partook in some moule frites. And I enjoyed my moule frites very much. After a big lunch and a bottle of the good stuff we took our time exploring Narbonne - a couple of museums and of course the cathedral. The cathedral was impressive. There was huge organ pipes playing and if you squinted upwards we spotted a little French man playing them. The gardens contained some statues and wait for it..... (sci-fi mention 4) a female statue covering her eyes. We didn't blink, just to be on the safe side. It is amazing how we are still alive!

Before leaving we stopped off at a nice little bar by the river for a couple of glasses of - would you believe me if I said lemonade? Ah well. It was nice chilled lemonade so we had a few!

No comments:

Post a Comment