Thursday 15 September 2011

Sete

We arrived in Sete on market day. This was unfortunate as parking was as easy as trying to park at Russells Hall hospital after 9am! After driving around for what seemed like hours Helen spotted one and I attempted a bit of reverse parallel parking up a steep him. Now our plan for sete had been to pick up one of the little touristy trains and explore the town that way as it happened to be on, as pre-mentioned, quite a steep hill. Market day ruined these plans and we had to make do with a little gentle wonder. Sete is a sea town and therefore our plan for the afternoon was a sub boat. This had broken down the day before so we had to book onto a normal, above water boat tour.

Midday hit and as in all French towns everything shut for lunch. An attitude I really think the British should adopt. So we found a little seafood restaurant and me and Lukas ordered the seafood platter. It started with a little octopus pie (really tasty). I have to say I tried my best with the platter but my attempts were pathetic. The oysters and mussels were raw (a specialty of the area) and I could only manage one of the 12 huge oysters and 2 of the 12 mussels. I made a better attempt of the 24 prawns and even managed 5 sea snails. Thankfully Lukas was slightly less squeamish then me and kept going until his stomach threatened him.

The boat trip was only ok I have to say. It was again without English translation and although we caught some of what one of the guides was saying the other had such a thick accent we could only look in the direction the others were and guess and occasionally smile meekly when the others laughed.

Back at the campsite it was actually past wine o’clock so we got stuck in and made up for lost time. Here we mat Eric the hedgehog for the second time who has taking to raiding our rubbish bags for our leftovers (poor little guy, there tends not to be many).

We also had bought our first French pastry, an apple custard torte. It was nice and we decided to offer some to Mr. and Mrs. B as they had most kindly repegged our tent while we were out. We now feel we have some neighbors who like us so all is not lost. Anyway I’m off to Meze now so see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment